Thursday 16 August 2012

Coming up - blog

A quick note about what I have coming up next.

I'm waiting for a few films to be delivered but I do have 28 days later, which garners some resistance  as to whether it can actually be called a zombie film, we will see, and the 2010 remake of John Carpenter's The Crazies, again maybe not a zombie film!? My aim is get a 28 days later review on the site tonight or tomorrow.

I have Pontypool, Rec 1, Rec 2, Zombieland, Zombie Strippers and most importantly Night of the Living Dead 1968 and Dawn of the Dead 1978 either waiting to be dispatched or on their way. As I said in my introduction, Romero's 1978 Dawn of the Dead was a firm favourite when I was younger and probably takes a lot of responsibility for why I'm doing all this, but I want to review Night of the Living Dead first so I can put the second in context. I believe I've seen the Romero movie that's regarded as starting it all off but really don't recall it at all, so I'm excited to get stuck in.

I shall also mention that despite having watched The Walking Dead seasons 1 and 2 when they aired on TV I plan to watch them again these before I review them here. It'll be useful to do a refresh especially as I've now read the graphic novel by Tony Moore and Robert Kirkman, and to be quite frank it's also a really good excuse to watch this fantastic series again. 


This morning I've also purchased Ultimate Horror Classics, a Blu-Ray SD compilation of 18 horror classics from the 30s through to the 60s. Most importantly this contains White Zombie, a film from 1932 starring Béla Lugosi and widely accredited as being the first true zombie movie. I'm also excited as it also contains The Last Man on Earth, a 1964  adaptation of the 1954 Richard Matheson novel I Am Legend, which you'll probably know as the 2007 Will Smith blockbuster. What is interesting about this is the novel originally had the sole survivor Dr Morgan Price pitted against vampires, albeit much slower more zombie like vampires. By 2007 the protagonists were for all intents and purposes just zombies and it's intriguing to see how the earlier film fits in, especially as Matheson had some involvement with the writing of it.

A full list of the films is: 1. THE GHOUL (1933) 2. WHITE ZOMBIE (1932) 3. THE VAMPIRE BAT (1933) 4. THE PHANTOM SHIP (1936) 5. DR. MANIAC - THE MAN WHO CHANGED HIS MIND (1936) 6. KING OF THE ZOMBIES (1941) 7. CHAMBER OF HORRORS (1941) 8. THE DEAD EYES OF LONDON (1940) 9. CRIMES AT THE DARK HOUSE (1940) 10. THE HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL (1959) 11. THE LAST MAN ON EARTH (1964) 12. MANIA - FLEASH AND THE FIENDS (1959) 13. THE CITY OF THE DEAD (1960) 14. CARNIVAL OF SOULS (1962) 15. SWEENEY TODD (1934) 16. THE HOUNDS OF ZAROFF (1932) 17. SVENGALI (1931) 18. THE TERROR (1963). 

Anyway, if you've stumbled upon this blog I hope you can see there's some interesting (hopefully) stuff coming up and you'll stick with me while the content is thin on the ground. I only plan on promoting once I feel there's enough for readers to get their teeth into. WTD.

No comments:

Post a Comment